CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 1, 2012

Black History Month: Daniel Hale Williams

February marks Black History month and I want to take the timeout amongst my mommy ramblings to highlight some of the greatest pioneers in America. I want to start the month with scientist/doctors and inventors. 
I stumbled upon this name during the time my Nana was preparing for triple-heart bypass surgery and my inquisitive mind led me to reading pamphlets on open heart surgery. I found a book on African American inventors and Dr. Williams' name was next to open heart surgery. I proceeded to tell my Nana how he could possibly be related to Poppy since his last name was Williams. :)

Doctor Daniel Hale Williams, was accredited with the first open-heart surgery, performed on July 9, 1893. 
Highlights: 
  • 1891 - founded Provident, 1st American interracial hospital, which was also the 1st nursing school for Blacks
  • 1913 - only African American member of the American College of Surgeons 
  • Utilized antiseptic and sterilization procedures 
  • Began practice in Chicago at a time when there were only 3 black physicians 
 Thank you for your contribution, your shoulder's we stand on.
nkoyo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...